Friday, December 12, 2014

Apple Crisp Crumble

December 11th marks our two year anniversary, so for my boyfriend I made one of his favorite desserts: apple crisp crumble! I needed something quick and easy because with work all day, then my tutoring job after work, I literally had an hour to bake and make things look semi cute in our tiny Bangkok apartment. I rushed to the store, bought the ingredients I needed, biked home and successfully finished everything before he walked through the door. Here's the recipe..


Ingredients
Filling
3 large green apples, skin on
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp AP flour or cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut sugar, melted *
Dash of salt (optional)
Topping
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup coconut sugar, melted *
Dash of salt (optional)


In a bowl, place lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and melted coconut sugar, mix well with a whisk. Stir in chopped skin on apples until coated evenly. Place filling in an ungreased oven-safe dish. In a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients with a fork until consistency is reminiscent of wet sand. Sprinkle and spread evenly over the apple filling. Place in oven for 40-50 minutes on 350F or until the top is browned and the filling is slightly bubbling. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!

* To melt coconut sugar into a syrupy consistency I placed the sugar and a tbsp of water in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir briskly until melted.