Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pumpkin Brownies

On this wonderful Sunday I decided to finally go to a MeetUp. More specifically, a vegan potluck! I usually don't do these types of things but it was about time I met other vegans in Bangkok so I can share my love of plant based foods.

I decided to take the sweet route and made brownies. I used the leftover vegan pumpkin pie filling that I made a couple days ago for Thanksgiving, now isn't that smart?! They turned out delicious, here's the recipe..


Ingredients
Chocolate Icing
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 cup refrigerated coconut milk, the hardened part (the fat)

Brownies
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup oat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 large ripe mashed bananas
About 1 cup pumpkin purée OR pumpkin pie leftovers (I made a vegan pumpkin pie and I didn't want it to go to waste so I scraped out the pumpkin filling which had pumpkin purée, coconut sugar, spices, non dairy milk and corn flour)
2 tbsp water


Chocolate Icing
Combine all ingredients, whisk for 2 minutes. Place in microwave for 30 seconds, checking and stirring every 10 seconds to make sure the sauce doesn't seize. Taste and add more sugar, tahini or whatever you think will make the sauce to your liking.

Brownies
Combine the cocoa, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and coconut sugar. In a separate bowl combine mashed bananas and pumpkin (can blend in a blender if you want smoother brownies but I just mashed with a fork). Combine the two, mix well. Add in a little water if necessary to get to the right consistency.

Pour into a baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes on 350F. Let the brownies cool for 10 minutes and spread on the chocolate icing.